Homemade cashew milk is easy when you follow this simple recipe. I especially love cashew milk because of its mild flavor, its creaminess and the fact that you do not need to strain cashew milk using a nut bag as with other nut milks. Homemade alternative milks are so easy to make and economical that you may never buy store bought again!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe For Cashew Milk
This recipe is super simple and comes together in just minutes. Once you make a batch of this cashew milk you’ll see there’s no need to buy store-bought anymore.
- It’s creamy, rich and tastes great with clean ingredients.
Ingredients To Make Cashew Milk
- Raw cashews – I used 1 cup of raw cashews.
- Filtered water – I used 4 cups of filtered water to make the cashew cream, and 7 cups of filtered water to make cashew milk.
- 1 tsp vanilla optional (leave out if using cashew milk in a savory dish).
How To Make Cashew Milk
- Soak raw cashews in boiling water for 30 minutes.
- Strain the soaked and softened cashews.
- In a vitamix or other powerful blender, add soaked cashews and 4-7 cups filtered water.
- Blend for several minutes until cashews are completely broken down.
- Add vanilla and blend again until mixed.
- Store in a jar in the refrigerator until ready for use.
- Enjoy on homemade grain free granola, No Oats, or in your morning coffee!
This homemade cashew milk will keep for 5-7 days in the fridge. I do not recommend freezing this cashew milk.
To make a thicker cashew “cream”, use 1 cup raw cashews and blend with just 1 cup of water. This same method can be used to make milk with hemp hearts as well: 1 cup hemp hearts to 4-7 cups water for milk and 1:1 for “cream”. If you will be using this non-dairy milk for cooking a savory dish, leave out the vanilla.
Can I use this recipe with a different kind of nut?
Yes, walnuts can be used in the same way in place of cashews in this recipe. You can also follow these instructions to make almond milk though you will need to strain the milk to remove the almond pulp.
Is homemade cashew milk healthy?
Homemade cashew milk is a good alternative to dairy milk if you can not tolerate dairy. Note homemade nut milks are not fortified so if you traditionally drink store-bought non dairy beverages homemade cashew milk will not provide the same amount of nutrients. Store-bought plant-based milks are usually fortified with vitamin D, B12 and calcium as well as several other nutrients depending on the brand.
Can I make this cashew milk without a blender?
Yes if you don’t have a blender you can use a food processor. Just make sure the cashews have been soaked beforehand.
Do the cashews have to be raw to make cashew milk?
You can make cashew milk from roasted cashews but to get the best taste and texture it is best to use raw cashews.
Did you make this recipe? If you did don’t forget to tag me and share on Instagram!
Homemade Cashew Milk
- Soak raw cashews in boiling water for 30 minutes
- Strain the soaked and softened cashews
- In a vitamix or other powerful blender, add soaked cashews and 7 cups filtered water
- Blend for several minutes until cashews are completely broken down
- Add vanilla and blend again until mixed
- Store in a jar in the refrigerator until ready for use. Will keep for 5-7 days.