Why You’ll Love This Pumpkin No Oats RecipeThis recipe for no oats is a great alternative to sugar-bomb overnight oats, fall edition! Typical overnight oats can spike your blood sugar which in turn can lead to a whole host of symptoms like headaches or fatigue. This recipe is full of protein, fats, and fiber which will keep you feeling full for hours.
Ingredients To Make Pumpkin No OatsWith a few shelf-stable ingredients and you’ve got a hunger-sustaining, blood sugar-balancing treat.
- Chia or basil seeds
- Hemp hearts
- Flax seeds – Make sure to use ground flax seeds as whole flax seeds are not broken down by our digestive system.
- Pumpkin spice – You can use a premix or make your own pumpkin spice.
- Milk – Any kind of milk will work. If you are using a non-dairy option use soy, almond, or cashew milk. Stay away from oat or rice as they will raise your blood sugar.
- Pumpkin puree – Make sure you use 100% pure pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie puree. Pumpkin pie puree has added sugar and spices.
- Dark chocolate – The darker the chocolate the better. I use Lindt 90% cocoa solids.
- Cinnamon – Add a sprinkle of cinnamon or a touch more of pumpkin pie spice to the dark chocolate. Note if using cinnamon make sure to buy the best quality you can find.
Equipment To Make Pumpkin Spice No OatsNo special equipment is required to make this no oats recipe.
- Measuring cups and spoons.
- Mason Jar for storing leftovers.
How To Make No Oats
- Measure equal parts basil or chia seeds, hemp hearts, and ground flax.
- Mix in pumpkin spice.
- Add milk and pumpkin puree and mix to combine.
- Place no oats in the fridge while you prepare the chocolate topping.
- Melt dark chocolate over a double boiler or in the microwave. Add cinnamon or extra pumpkin spice.
- Place back in the fridge for the chocolate shell to harden.
Storage For Pumpkin No OatsPumpkin Spice No Oats will keep well in the fridge for a few days. I do not recommend freezing these oats.
Pro Tips For Making Pumpkin Spice No Oats
- Keep a jar of pre-measured seeds on hand so you can make this recipe up at any time.
- If you only have whole flax seeds make sure to grind them in a coffee mill before adding them to the mix.
- Hold on to your jam jars so you can store these oats.
- Make sure to use equal amounts of the seeds.
- If using nondairy milk make sure to buy unsweetened.
FAQsWhat is the ratio of milk to seeds in this recipe? For these no oats I used 6 tablespoons of seeds for one cup of milk. What kind of milk works best in these no oats? Any kind of milk will work but for the best blood sugar-balancing meal, I would recommend whole milk, soy milk, or unsweetened almond milk. Can I make my own pumpkin puree? Yes, you can make your own pumpkin puree but I have found that canned actually tastes better. Also, make sure not to buy pumpkin pie puree. Read the label to ensure there is no added sugar or spices. Can I use chocolate chips in this recipe? Yes, you can use chocolate chips just make sure to use dark chocolate.
Pumpkin Spice No Oats Recipe
- Prep your No Oats: equal parts chia or basil seeds, hemp hearts, and ground flax plus pumpkin pie spice.
- Mix 1 cup of milk of your choice with pumpkin puree
- Pour the milk over the No Oats and mix well
- Allow it to set in the fridge while you melt your dark chocolate. Add the cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice to the melted chocolate.
- Pour melted dark chocolate on top of chilled and set No Oats
- Pop in the refrigerator for a few minutes until the chocolate shell hardens