Onions, garlic, celery, and swiss chard in a rich bone broth paired with cannellini beans make a hearty and satisfying meal. The combination of vegetables and beans means you’ll be loading up on vitamins, minerals, fiber and protein. Just what you need to keep your energy levels up for a few hours.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe For Swiss Chard and White Bean Soup
- Hearty comforting soup for a cold fall or winter’s day.
- Easily adaptable to your liking; change up the beans, add different greens, throw in some roasted tomatoes or any other vegetable scraps you have in your fridge.
- Ready in just a few minutes.
Ingredients To Make White Bean Soup
- Swiss Chard
- Bone Broth
- Cannellini beans
Equipment Need To Make Swiss Chard and Bean Soup
- Cast iron skillet
- Measuring cup
How To Make Swiss Chard and White Bean Soup
- Saute the onion, celery, leek, and swiss chard until soft.
- Add bone broth (you can use my recipe here or Olla Products) and rinsed cannellini beans.
- Simmer and serve hot with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil. Top with some course sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
Storage For White Bean Soup
Leftover soup can be stored in Mason jars in the fridge for a few days or frozen for a few months.
Here are a few tips to ensure your soup turns out every time you make it.
- Keep a stash of bone broth or other low-sodium broths on hand so you can easily prepare this soup.
- Keep cans of beans in the pantry for quick and easy use. If you prefer to use dried beans make sure to soak them the night before you want to make the soup.
- Any leafy green will work in this recipe so if you have spinach or kale in the fridge feel free to throw it in.
- I recommend you use fresh chopped garlic as it tastes way better than jarred garlic.
What kind of broth can I use in this soup recipe?
I recommend using bone broth for its many health benefits but any kind of broth will work. If you are using a different store-bought broth I suggest you use a low-sodium one and add the amount of salt you like.
Can I use a different kind of bean in this soup?
I love the combination of cannellini beans and swiss chard but any kind of bean will work in this soup. If you want to use a white bean you can use lima beans or chickpeas. You could also use red kidney beans or even romano beans.
Swiss Chard and White Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 celery stalks (minced)
- 1 leek (diced)
- 6 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 bunch swiss chard (chopped)
- 4 cups bone broth
- 1 can cannellini beans
- Saute the onion, celery stalks, leek, garlic and swiss chard until soft
- Add 4 cups good bone broth (find my recipe here or use one like @ollaproducts) and a can of rinsed cannellini beans
- Simmer for 10 minutes and serve hot with a squeeze of lemon and a dash of olive oil and some coarse sea salt and cracked pepper