This kale salad is loaded with dates, pistachios, chicken, and avocados and then smothered in a lemon and herb dressing for a hearty and satisfying meal that will keep you full for hours.
The inspiration for this tasty kale salad recipe with tahini and herb dressing comes from my friend Robert. I have made a few changes to make it a blood sugar friendly and delicious meal. By adding protein and healthy fat, in the form of poached chicken and avocado, while slightly reducing the amount of dates and honey, it is a balanced, delicious, nutrient-dense dish. The perfect salad to enjoy for lunch or take to a gathering.
Why You’ll Love This Kale Salad
This kale salad eats like a meal. Loaded with protein and healthy fats it won’t spike your blood sugar. Greens themselves will not spike your blood sugar it is what is added to them, like sugared dried cranberries, or poured over them, like a sugar loaded dressing, that may spike your blood sugar. But don’t worry about this salad of healthy greens because I’ve got you covered.
Ingredients To Make This Kale Salad With Herb Dressing
- Small red onion, diced
- Lemon or lime juice – Use fresh lemon or lime juice if possible for the best flavor.
- Zest of 1 lime – You can use the zest from a lime or a lemon, whatever you have on hand.
- Fresh parsley and cilantro
- Olive oil – I suggest you use extra virgin olive oil
- Filtered water – I prefer filtered water but tap water will also work.
- Lime or lemon juice – Freshly squeezed is preferable.
- Garlic – I used one clove, freshly minced.
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Kale – I used two bunches, stemmed and sliced thinly.
- Dates – Pitted and diced small, I used about 4 dates.
- Pistachios – chopped
- Avocado, diced
- Chicken breasts – I used 2 chicken breasts, poached and shredded for protein.
- Sesame seeds
How To Make Kale Salad
- In a large bowl, stir together onion, lime zest and 2 tbsp lime juice, set aside for 10 minutes to allow onion to marinate.
- In a blender add parsley, cilantro, tahini, olive oil, honey, garlic, 1/3 cup of water, 1/2 cup lime juice, salt and pepper. Process until you get nice pourable consistency.
- To the large bowl with the onion, add kale, dates, pistachios, avocado, chicken and dressing- toss well and taste before adding salt and pepper.
- Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Allow the salad to sit for 15 minutes for the flavors to meld.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds to serve and enjoy!
Once dressed this salad will last a day or two in the fridge but after that it will get soggy. It is best not to dress the whole salad if you don’t think you’ll eat it all. Store the leftover undressed salad and the dressing in the fridge. Both will keep well for up to 4 days. I do not recommend freezing this salad or the dressing.
Here are a few things you can do to make sure your kale salad works out well every time you make it.
- Cut the kale into bite sized pieces. Kale much thicker than lettuce so it is easier to chew and therefore digest if it is cut into small pieces.
- Zest fruit straight from the fridge but let it come to room temperature before you juice it.
- Toast the pistachios and sesame seeds for a deeper flavor.
- Leftover cooked chicken is fine if you have some in the fridge, throw it in the salad.
- To make the salad vegetarian or vegan add lupini beans or tofu for protein.
Do I have to massage the kale before adding it to the salad?
Some recipes call for massaging the kale before you make a salad but in this recipe I am recommending you let it sit for a few minutes to soak up the flavor. If you are a fan of massaging kale then go ahead and massage it before you add the other ingredients.
What kind of kale works best in this salad?
Any kind of kale will work in this salad though I used the common curly kale.
Did you make this recipe? If you did, please tag me and share on Instagram!
Kale Salad with tahini and herb dressing, dates, pistachios and poached chicken
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 2 tbsp lemon or lime juice
- zest of 1 lime (or lemon)
- In a large bowl, stir together onion, lime zest and 2 tbsp lime juice, set aside for 10 minutes to allow onion to marinate
- In a blender add parsley, cilantro, tahini, olive oil, honey, garlic, 1/3 c water, 1/2 cup lime juice, salt and pepper
- To the large bowl with the onion, add kale, dates, pistachios, avocado, chicken and dressing- toss well and taste
- Season with salt and pepper as needed. Allow to sit for 15 min for flavors to meld
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds to serve, enjoy!