This low carb wheat-less cream of wheat copycat recipe is another one of those “happy accident” recipes! If you grew up eating cream of wheat, you will love this low carb, high fiber version. Traditional cream of wheat has twice the carbs and just 1 gram of fiber. This copycat cream of wheat contains 32 carbs and 22 grams of fiber for a net carb count of just 10. Why is fiber essential for metabolic health? Find out in this Levels Health article.
Coconut flour and psyllium husks come together for a smooth and creamy hot breakfast in just minutes. Top this coconut flavored porridge with your favorite nuts, seeds and berries for a vegan, low carb, grain free breakfast option.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe For Low Carb “Cream of Wheat”
If you are a hot cereal lover but haven’t been able to eat it as it raises your blood sugar you will absolutely love this copycat cream of wheat recipe; smooth and creamy and ready for your favorite toppings.
Ingredients To Make Cream of Wheat
- Coconut flour – Coconut flour adds a nice texture and flavor to this copycat recipe.
- Psyllium husk flakes
- Protein powder optional but adds a boost of protein -use chocolate or vanilla!
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- Hot filtered water – I use filtered water but you any kind of water will work.
- Berries – Fresh or frozen both work; blueberries, strawberries, raspberries.
- Chopped nuts or seeds; almonds, walnuts, chia, hemp or flax.
- Ghee, coconut oil, or grass-fed butter (optional).
- Nut butter – You can use almond, peanut or cashew.
- Full fat Greek yogurt goat yogurt, or coconut yogurt.
- Maple syrup, honey, monkfruit syrup, allulose syrup all totally optional! I like my “cream of wheat” with just berries and nuts, no sweetener.
How To Make This Copycat Cream of Wheat
- In a bowl, mix all of your dry ingredients with a spoon or a fork.
- Pour boiling water over the dry ingredients and mix well. The psyllium husk will “swell” and create a hot cereal consistency.
- Top your wheat-less “cream of wheat” with butter, berries, nuts, nut butter, or yogurt and enjoy!
This low carb copycat cream of wheat will last in the fridge for up to 4 days. I don’t recommend freezing it. Store individual portions in a small mason jar for a grab and go breakfast.
Here are a few things you can do to make sure your copycat cream of wheat cereal comes out every time.
- Keep a supply of the dry ingredients on hand. You could even mix the dry ingredients together and just add the hot water in the morning.
- Add some spice so each bowl tastes a little different; cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla or even a teaspoon of matcha.
How many servings does this recipe make?
This recipe will make one bowl. You can double or triple this recipe and store the leftovers in the fridge for a quick, ready to go breakfast or snack.
What can I substitute for psyllium husks?
Unfortunately, there are no alternatives for this recipe. You may need to make a trip to the bulk food store or a health food store to buy psyllium husks. They do keep for quite a while so it may be worth picking up a bag to have on hand.
Did you make this recipe? If you did, please tag me and share on Instagram!
Low Carb “Cream of Wheat” copycat recipe, gluten free
- 1 cups hot filtered water
- In a bowl, mix all of your dry ingredients with a spoon or a fork
- Pour boiling water over the dry ingredients and mix well. The psyllium husk will "swell" and create a hot cereal consistency.
- Top your wheat-less "cream of wheat" with butter, berries, nuts, nut butter, or yogurt and enjoy!